Thursday, July 24, 2008

ROMEO MAKES HIS PAPA, MASTER P, PROUD BY DITCHING STARRING MOVIE ROLE TO ATTEND U.S.C.


Rapper Lil' Romeo has passed up a starring role in new movie Sweetwater, so he doesn't lose his college basketball eligibility. The aspiring college ball player (real name Percy Miller Jr.) will start playing for the University of Southern California later this year, and when he does, he'll have to abide by strict college athlete rules. That means the 18-year-old has to be a full-time student and can not accept hand-outs or cash favors from potential sponsors, agents or professionals. In Sweetwater, Miller was set to portray the first African American player signed by America's National Basketball Association. The teenager's father, rap mogul Master P, says, "Romeo has agreed to abide by all NCAA regulations, but I think a lot of their rules will need to be updated to take into account a person of his magnitude and his past accomplishments. I couldn't be more proud of my son's decision to choose education and athletics over money. Being a student athlete takes a lot of hard work and discipline.

Romeo insists his father has taught him to get his head down at college and learn as well as play: "Being raised in poverty-stricken New Orleans, I know first hand what it's like to have nothing, and to see what my dad has done with his education, goals, and opportunities has really opened my eyes. Now I'm grown up and I'm setting my own goals and with the right education, I know there's no limit."

Sunset Pictures, the production company behind the new sports film, supports Miller's decision and has committed to working with Miller on future projects once he completes college.

.....

0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Template Designed by Douglas Bowman - Updated to Beta by: Blogger Team
Modified for 3-Column Layout by Hoctro