Tuesday, November 6, 2007

NEW MAGAZINE SCANS: PERSIA WHITE IN URBAN INK MAGAZINE; DISHES ON 'GIRLFRIENDS', MUSIC & HER LOVE FOR TATTOOS.

Persia White is an activist, musician, and actress-best known for her role as Lynn Searcy on the #1 Black sitcom in America, Girlfriends. She's also done several independent film projects, including Red Letters and the cult horror, Blood Dolls. The multi-racial actress also works with at-risk youths, and supports animal activist groups, PETA and the Humane Society, but her true loves are music and tattoos.

PERSIA ON HER TATTOOS: I have two magnolias. They're an homage to the South and Billy Holiday's song Strange Fruit about the lynchings which occurred there--a reminder of how beauty can come from tragedy. The black bars mark change, like marks on a tree. The other is about a negative space; how we must embrace it. We must have the balance of yin and yang. My first tattoo is the cross on my back. I was in my 20s. I had it placed on my spine opposite a chakra point. It represents my life's journey; moving forward.

PERSIA ON HOW HER TATTOOS AFFECTED HER ACTING CAREER: I have lost work over my tattoos! However, I knew the risks of being inked, especially as a woman in Hollywood, and I was willing to live with them. At the same time, the writers for Girlfriends have worked my tattoos into the script. I play an edgy character, so it works. Every season the writers ask to see my new tattoos. They have also blurred the lines a bit between the real me and my character--she's a vegan and I'm a vegan. It's pretty cool! As a celebrity with tattoos, I'm promoting tattoos--like it or not. I have a responsibility to be a good role model.

PERSIA ON HOW HER PASSION FOR MUSIC COINCIDES WITH HER ACTING CAREER: Music is my first love! I was a little worried when I first started doing Girlfriends that it might be a problem, but it hasn't been a problem at all--actually they've let me write music for the show! I've also discovered the fans are not who I thought they were. I thought they would condemn me for not doing R&B or Hip Hop, but if you go to some of their MySpace pages, you'll find Beyonce, Jay-Z and my band XE03. People all over the world have XE03 listed as one of their favorite groups!





MORE PICS OF PERSIA WHITE IN URBAN INK MAGAZINE AFTER THE JUMP!

PERSIA ON THE IMPORTANCE OF HER TATS: People draw quick judgments about those with tattoos. Putting forth the art on my body--as an entertainer is risky. I think that's one reason I got inked; to identify myself. In this business you tire of people trying to make you something you are not. My art makes me more of an individual, having something symbolic to me is important.

PERSIA ON WHAT'S TO COME: Movies! I hope to do some movies soon. As for tattoos--a piece on my thigh; probably some Polynesian-tribal. I can't wait!




13 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow! i never knew she had so many tats. thanks for posting these pictures SG! i still hate the character she plays on girlfriends though. lol.

Anonymous said...

Did she ever stop to think what that shit would look like once she 45 or 50 years of age?! Ugh!

Nay-Nay, her character gets on my nerves too! LOl

Anonymous said...

^^LOL! She must've forgot skin sags over time. And who told her fans weren't mad that she chose R&b over that Goth crap?!

Anonymous said...

She look crazy as hell.

Anonymous said...

4 those of u who decided 2 hate on her tats... screw u.. i lov her tats and her tribal on her leg is the inspiration 4 my next 1... that shit is sick!!!

Anonymous said...

Yall can keep hating, it is your hate that fills this world already whats a lil more right? I think that this woman is power! And she is stunningly hot! Yall haters make me sick! I run into people like you on the daily. And you all can burn!

Anonymous said...

you guys is just hatin,but that good keep doin your job and hate, i think that her tattoos are crazy sick and it inspired me on getting one of my own...AND i loved her part on the show

Anonymous said...

I just wanted to leave a comment about skin sagging at 50, ask Madonna or that woman who won the oscar for that movie about the Queen,who's in her 60's.Taking care of your body through a proper diet IS the real fountain of youth.

Anonymous said...

She's fine.her tats are hot.she has talent.she's obviously comfortable with herself as she is... you haters probably lack one or all of these things and that's why u attack others not like yourselves... u have no idea what "her" body is gona look like when she's older.. if u don't like tats fine don't get any.. hating is a disease .. go ask ur pastor to exorcise it from ur soul.

Anonymous said...

I absolutely agree with the comment above. If you don't like her and her tats, why did you even read the article and look at the pictures??? You just wish you were as talented and awesome like her! I think she rules and she is a great role model - be yourself, no matter what anyone else says!!! and plus she is against animal cruelty!!!!!!! YOU GO GIRL!!!!! xx

Anonymous said...

well i tell u this i get her all the time when i'm on the streets and when she plays lynn she's actually playin me (she's great guys dont hate and her tats r off the chain)

Anonymous said...

Love

Anonymous said...

Thank you for this article, pretty helpful information.
superb link | good link | check check superb link | this 6 | you may site this 7 | this 3

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Template Designed by Douglas Bowman - Updated to Beta by: Blogger Team
Modified for 3-Column Layout by Hoctro