Friday, March 28, 2008

LAMMAN RUCKER IN ESSENCE MAG; ACTOR DISCUSSES JILL SCOTT, TOCCARA, UPCOMING MOVIE PROJECTS, WHAT HE LOOKS FOR IN A WOMAN & MORE.

It's about time! I don't know how long I have waited for at least one publication to do an in-depth feature story (even if it is in basic Q&A form) on Real Gossip 101's favorite male actor, Lamman Rucker. If you're an avid fan of Rucker, chances are most of the details you may read about in the following article are things you already know. And for those who haven't followed his career prior to his big screen debut in Tyler Perry's Why Did I Get Married?, you're in for a treat so brace yourselves. The actor discusses why he chose a career in acting over a career in one of the many fields in which he holds a college degree, the death of his baby brother, his next movie, Ball Don't Lie, being labeled--and oftentimes cast as eyecandy and his views of how Black women are portrayed in the media and the world of hip-hop. He also sets the record straight on his rumored relationships with Jill Scott and former America's Next Top Model contestant Toccara Jones, the qualities he looks for in a woman and his current relationship status. Here's a hint: get your pens and pencils ready! Let me tell yall right now: I knew the brother was deep, but after reading his interview, I discovered he's much deeper than I thought.

Essence.com: Tyler Perry’s film always provides great eye candy for his female audience. Would you say that you’ve been cast as “the hunk” often?
L.R.: (Laughs) Throughout my career, I wouldn’t say my roles have been based on my being considered eye candy. What I will say is that my ability to bring different characters to life is what has helped me advance in my career. As far as looks are concerned, well, I suppose that would be the icing on the cake, but acting comes first and foremost. No one likes to be typecast, but I would like to believe that the attention I get is for my acting but at the same time darn it, if I get to keep playing the handsome, smart guy then that's also a blessing and it’s the last thing I would complain about.

Essence.com: Rumor has it that you are currently dating your Why Did I Get Married? co-star Jill Scott?
L.R.: Ms. Scott—Jill—and I are just very good friends, nothing more.

Essence.com: So you’re telling all the ladies that you’re single?
L.R.: (Laughs) Yes, I’m single.

Essence.com: Recently, footage of you and Toccara walking hand-in-hand surfaced on the web. Are you two an item?
L.R.: No, we’re just friends. I know exactly what you’re talking about. We were leaving an event that we both attended and I was being a gentleman and walking her and her friend to her car. Naturally, there are always going to be people waiting outside to try and see if they can make something out of nothing. Again, we’re just friends.

CONTINUE READING MORE SNIPPETS FROM LAMMAN'S INTERVIEW INCLUDING MORE INFO INFO ON OTHER PROJECTS HE'S CURRENTLY WORKING ON & TAKE A LOOK AT SEVERAL EXCLUSIVE OLD SCHOOL PICS FROM THE ACTOR'S PERSONAL PHOTO STASH BY CLICKING 'READ MORE AFTER THE JUMP! ON THE BOTTOM LEFT.
Essence: So was a career in academia too stifling for your creative spirit?
Essence.com: Well, I’m sure the ladies are happy to hear that you’re a free agent.

L.R.:
(Laughs) Well, I’m not saying that I sit at home twiddling my thumbs. The legit answer is I’m dating. I’m working and open, which means I’m filling out applications and taking applications.

Essence.com: There's nothing wrong with that. What’s the one thing a woman can do to send you running for the hills?

L.R.:
A woman who is self-centered, can never see the positive and is selfish. Don’t get me wrong everyone has a right to self-preservation, but it really bugs me when a person is so self-consumed that they don’t care how it affects other people as long as her wants and needs are met. And please, I’m a patient man, but please don’t ever try to give me an attitude and run a guilt trip on me.


Essence.com: Yeah, that’s not sexy at all. Well, your character in Married really proved that chivalry wasn’t dead. What are your thoughts about the portrayal of Black women in the media and hip-hop?

L.R.:
Well right now hip-hop artists are such huge commodities so the film industry integrates them into film because of their draw. It allows studios to cross-promote an artist from the big screen to the soundtrack. Honestly, I have mixed feelings because hip-hop artists should have the right to pursue their interests as an actor. However, I don’t think they should be rewarded musically and given other opportunities if they are all about promoting poor examples of Black women across the globe. The images they portray of Black women severely misinform other cultures who listen to hip-hop and watch those videos about our women. It’s disappointing because of the respect and honor our Black women deserve. As a people, we have to be more accountable in our everyday language but especially artists who have a forum such as videos, radios and albums.


Essence.com: Perhaps, such progress will happen in another lifetime. Tell me about Ball Don’t Lie.

L.R.:
I play Trey and I’m on the street basketball team. The film is based on a book by Matt de La Pena and is about this young White kid who is placed in foster care after his mother tragically dies. He is an orphan and poor, which drives home the point that at-risk youth don’t just exist in the Black community. At the end of the day, it’s more a matter of economics than race. In the end, basketball becomes his saving grace when he discovers the recreation center in the hood, where some serious street ball is played by much older and more experienced players. So not only must this young guy adapt to an older generation but to their athletic prowess.


Essence.com: Sounds interesting and right up your alley because you’re not only a former basketball player but a huge youth advocate.

L.R.:
Yes, I am. I use my position as an actor to teach and work with young people. Now what I do is more along the lines of teaching HIV/AIDS prevention as well as Rap It Up campaigns to educate these young people how to protect themselves.


Essence.com: Growing up in D.C. what adversities did you face?

L.R.:
Nothing that I would say was too crazy. I mean I hung out in the streets, but I didn’t become a victim of the streets because I had too much going on in high school to distract me. But I lost my little brother to the streets in '92. It’s a shame because he was truly gifted and talented. Although he and I faced some of the same things in our community, his choices made it difficult for him to remove himself from those experiences. But I thank God for the arts, which I can say saved me from the same fate because I traveled so far from my school, The Duke Ellington School of the Arts ,and spent nearly the entire day there. My brother is the reason that I’ll always give back to the community because we have to help or young Black men and young people. It’s my obligation to my brother and his legacy.

Lamman was gracious enough to share these throwback photos with his many fans. Bless his tall, dark and handsome heart! Click on each pic to see it in its original size.




L.R.:
(Laughs) Not really once I made the decision to go to grad school, I asked myself the infamous question, What would I do for free? So I volunteered to coach high school basketball but I also helped them build life skills and not just their sportsmanship. But as far as acting, I was always nurturing my artistic side when I was in college and grad school. I modeled, booked commercials, appeared in plays, sang. I even know how to put up stage lights because I had to learn that in my high school.

Essence.com: As a well-rounded actor you are have you considered doing any of the traveling plays?

L.R.:
Actually, I’m in a play call Webeime, which is "We, Be, I, Me." I’m one of eight Black men who make up this one man who’s on death row. You witness his life through each of the eight Black men. It’s like Ntzoke Shange’s For Colored Girls Who Have Considered Suicide/When The Rainbow Is Enuf. And we’ll be coming to the Harlem School of the Artis from March 28 through May 4. I won’t join the cast until the last couple of weeks.

TO READ LAMMAN'S ENTIRE INTERVIEW, GO TO: ESSENCE.COM

CLICK HERE TO READ MORE NEWS ON LAMMAN RUCKER ON BLACKCELEBRITYMEN.BLOGSPOT.COM!)

22 comments:

Anonymous said...

So he's single, but dating someone? Shit, as far as I'm concerned that still makes him unavailable in my eyes. He must be the cheating kind.

Anonymous said...

I said this over at Essence.com and I'll say it again over here, there's only one word that describes Lamman Rucker and that word is OVERRATED! Eventually yall will see what I;m talking about.

Anonymous said...

TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN. PLEASE DON'T GET FDIVA STARTED AND ALL RILED UP. IT'S BAD ENOUGH THAT SHE FEELS THE NEED TO GO HEAD TO HEAD WITH ANYBODY WHO HAS ANYTHING BAD TO SAY ABOUT THIS MAN. THE SAME MAN HAS NO IDEA SHE EVEN EXISTS.

Anonymous said...

well i don't give a damn what anybody thinks. the man's work on and off screen are both to be commended. i wish him nothing but the best in any future endeavors. this man is not only intelligent, book smart, handsome and humble, he also knows what he wants out of life. and it's all of those qualities that makes him such a superb human being. keep up the good work, boo.

Anonymous said...

SouthernGurl, I read another post on your blog stating that Lamman is a youth adovcate for AIDS/HIV awareness. I run an after-school program and would love to have him come speak to some of these fast tail girls and knucklehead boys who think they know everything! Although I'm afraid that if these girls saw him in person, they'd rip him to shreds! LOL!

Does he still do those types of things in his off time and if so do can you pass along some information or contact number/emails for him or his manager/publicist to me? I'd really appreciate it.

Anonymous said...

While yall tripping, Lamma is the truth. My 58 year old aunt damn near slob down the tv anytime she sees him on it.

Anonymous said...

I wanna know why everybody keeps thinking he and Jill scott are dating when southerngirl posted a story and picture saying that Jill is now dating someone else. Or maybe I'm the only one who remembers that. lol.

Anonymous said...

^^ I remember that story too. I guess everyone isn't on the up and up like we are over here. lol

Anonymous said...

Lamman seems like such a sweet person. Is it me or does he look like the kind of dude who would dance with the ugliest girl in the room just because he saw something beautiful inside of her? I think he would.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, Boss Lady, you're the only one who thinks that!

SouthernGurl said...

Taylor in Tampa said...

SouthernGurl, I read another post on your blog stating that Lamman is a youth adovcate for AIDS/HIV awareness. I run an after-school program and would love to have him come speak to some of these fast tail girls and knucklehead boys who think they know everything! Although I'm afraid that if these girls saw him in person, they'd rip him to shreds! LOL!

Does he still do those types of things in his off time and if so do can you pass along some information or contact number/emails for him or his manager/publicist to me? I'd really appreciate it.


Hey Taylor. You can reach the talent agency that represents Lamman as well as his management team and his agent by going to his official website: http://www.lammanrucker.com/. Scroll down and all the contact information you need is located on the bottom right of his page. Good luck!

Anonymous said...

LAMMAN IS TOO SEXY FOR HIS OWN GOOD.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, yeahy, yeah. he'll be eye candy for yall untill the next good looking man comes along. enjoy it while you can. it eas just a couple of yeas ago wheen women (and some men) were going goo-goo, ga-ga over duded like Morris Chestnut and Taye Diggs

Anonymous said...

What's up with all the hate. Some of yall are haters. What has that man done to some of all hat have yall bash him so. I guess I'm speaking to that NJ chick. Since she didn't respond to the other poster I guess she akes it a point of posting bs and hauling ass.

Anonymous said...

Ooooh, i have myself a brand new crush!

Anonymous said...

People who say there's no such thing as perfection haven't seen this man. If he's missing anything, chances are he doesn't need it.

Anonymous said...

Yall are a trip! I guess since I've known about him since his days on All My Children, reading all these wild ass comments on this blog really does nothing for me. I'm not going to lie, I went through this phase when I first laid eyes on him too. But now I just feel sorry for all of yall who are just realizing how talented this man is. Yall have missed out on a lot. SOuthergurl keep up the good work on keeping us old fans on what's going on with our boo. I know you're a part of our click too, which is probably why you've allowed some of these thirsty quotes to remain in your comments section. lol.

Anonymous said...

I'm mad I'm just now learning who this man is. He better be glad he doesn't know I'm alive or else it would be so on. And he single too?!!

Anonymous said...

I went to high school with him and he was a good kid back then. Stayed focused on acting. I'm glad to see him making it; however, I would like to see him stretch a little further. That's the only way he is going to have staying power and become a leading man.

Anonymous said...

NJ I'm starting to see what you mean. I've had my own experience

Anonymous said...

to the post above mine-

You can't come on here and say all that and then not tell us what your bad experience with him was. I mean, you did post anonymously so why not elaborate?

Anonymous said...

NJ, Hit me up on email taiwalker77@gmail.com

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Template Designed by Douglas Bowman - Updated to Beta by: Blogger Team
Modified for 3-Column Layout by Hoctro