Wednesday, September 10, 2008

EXECUTIVE PRODUCER MARA BROCK AKIL DISHES ON THE THIRD SEASON OF 'THE GAME.'


Without a doubt, the 3rd season of The CW’s The Game is the most anticipated return to television especially since the network’s upper-ups canned Girlfriends. But I digress…I have to or I’m liable to have a conniption just thinking about it. Anyhoo, here’s what we (diehard) fans already know: Melanie Barnett a.k.a.‘Med School’ a.k.a. 'Girl Melanie' and Derwin Davis are thisclose to hooking back up for good when Derwin’s ex-girlfriend, Janay, informs him that she is with child….his child! Jason, who has finally kicked his steroid habit, might have finally pushed his wife, Becky….I mean Kelly as far as she could go with his cheap, ‘I-Am-Man-Hear-Me-Roar’ tactics. In the meantime and in between time, Tasha has found love…or maybe lust with her new co-worker, played by that ever-so-fine Rick Fox. Then there’s Malik who has not only fired his mother as his manager (he obviously hasn’t learned a damn thing from Curious George’s human twin brother, Usher), but has also jumped the broom with his cougar Robin Givens. Although the majority of the cast portray fictional characters, their unresolved issues vastly parallels most of our everyday lives.

With that said, who wouldn’t become addicted to such an entertaining sitcom? Hell, it’s all we have to look forward to this fall season anyway. According to Nielsen Co., The Game (created by executive producer Mara Brock Akil) dominates the half-hour comedy spot in Black households, which was left vacant by its sister sitcom (also the brainchild Akil‘s) that I mentioned above. Therefore and thus and such, I will not repeat its name for fear of breaking down into tears….so please allow me to digress once more.

AFTER THE JUMP, FIND OUT IF THERE WILL BE ANY RECONCILIATIONS, BREAKUPS OR BABY MAMA DRAMA. PLUS TAKE A PEEK AT A FEW INTERESTING SPOILERS FROM THE UPCOMING SEASON.

So what can we expect to see this season? While some fans, such as myself, are hoping and wishing for a Team Merwin reconciliation, there are others who are wondering what will become of the clique’s interracial couple now that their marriage has become so strained. The only person that can answer that question and tackle that true-to-life image of a Black athlete who marries a White woman is Akil. ’On the show, we’re very vocal about when a brother marries outside the race. That’s what Tasha’s character represents toward Kelly. But they’ve formed a friendship out of being bold, brash and confronting the race issue,’ says Akil. If you’re on the edge of your seat wondering which couple(s) will actually cross over into the end zone before breaking out into their well-coordinated touchdown dance or which couple(s) will get sacked at the one yard line, Akil wants you to know that she feels your pain. She tells Essence magazine, ‘I hear the audience. I know they want a happy, good couple. I want that, too, but I’m just showing the journey of how you get there.'

While Akil may be tight-lipped about giving us the goodies on next season, TV Guide and a few other sources aren't. According to the publication, more veteran actors will make guest-appearances during the run of this season. On the October 31st episode, Laverne and Shirley actress Penny Marshall will play Rick Fox's mother. In this episode Tasha discovers just how much of a mama's boy her new boo really is. It'll be funny to see how Penny and Tasha interact considering Penny's role comes off as an overprotective mother who commends herself for the success of Rick's career with the Lakers. TVguide.com also revealed what some of us Team Merwin fans have feared: Janay is indeed pregnant. But is she pregnant with Derwin's baby? If this gives you any clue at all, in an impromptu interview during the 2008 Teen Choice Awards, Tia Mowry said the season opener will be an emotional, hour-long episode. Also, more spoilers have claim the Pitts marriage has hits the skids for good and that they will go through a divorce. That's not all. While 'Med School' decides to seriously buckle down in an effort to obtain her medical degree, even going as far as beginning her residency at a local hospital, our playboy Malik, on the other hand, will find himself doing something he never thought he would have to do: defending his manhood and fighting off gay rumors. As for Tee Tee. Nothing's changed.

Check out The Game when it premieres its third season on a new night and time beginning on Friday, October 3rd at 8:30 p.m. Also check back with Real Gossip 101 next week when I will have new news on actor Coby Bell (who plays Jason Pitts) and a new photoshoot of Hosea Chanchez (who plays Malik Wright) including details on his love life as well as his relationships with his cast mates..

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

OOOOOOOOOOOOH I CAN'T WAITTTTTTTT!! THANK U SO MUCH FOR THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'M HOPING AND HOPING AND HOPING THAT MED SCHOOL AND HELMET HEAD (THAT'S WHAT I CALLED DERWIN BECAUSE HIS HEAD IS SHAPED FUNNY LOL LOL) GET BACK TOGETHER. I'M TELLING YALL JUST DON'T UNDERSTAND HOW BIG OF A FAN I AM OF THIS SHOW.

I LUVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV IT.KEEP UPDATES LIKE THIS COMING AND ILL BE ON THIS SITE EVERY OTHER DAY!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Wooow at those spoilers. Watching Malik try to prove he isn't gay is going to be hee-lare-ree-ous!

Anonymous said...

Thx 4 this info.
I'll post in on imdb & tv.com.

But I think the show is gonna get cancelled. Its on Friday nights. This show's target is teens/young adults. These ppl are OUT on friday nights. Sure they might record [yes RECORD. I myself still use a vcr] or dvr/tivo TG, but recorded ratings dont count

Unknown said...

I agree lil kunta. Friday nights are where sitcoms go to die! LOL! By 8 pm, most folks are well into their way of getting their buzz on at hour happy...or standing in line at the movies. The CW act as if it would kill them to put Everybody Hates Chris and The Game on another night. They could've aired those two shows an hour before ANTM or an hour after ANTM.

Chi-Chi said...

I need to catch up on "The Game" re-runs to get this hype surrounding the show. I caught only a few episodes but these spoilers definitely made me a stable viewer.

Unknown said...

Y'all know that's how they do our shows...I'm STILL mad about how they did Girlfriends after an 8 year run...at the very least, the show deserved closure. I love Everybody Hates Chris and The Game, but I agree with lilkunta & southernblackgurl...they are out to get us and our shows. I hope that these shows get the opportunity to continue on another network or syndication...

Unknown said...

Well, Chi-Chi you know with the evolution of the Internet, we no longer have to depend on our DVRs to keep up with our favorite shows. LOL! You can easily catch up on each and every episode you missed by going to the CW website. That's what I plan on doing even though I have each episode of The Game and E.H.C. on my DVR! I just got a new laptop and I'm trying to take advantage of its every feature!!

Like yall I too hope Friday nights won't be the cause of The Game's demise. I think we can count on ONE HAND the number of black sitcoms on TV. And that's a DAMN SHAME!

Now, yall done got me all upset!!! LOL!

Sane said...

Oh I loooooooooooove it!!! This show has me so hooked! I truly think the acting is better when Mel and Derwin AREN'T happy.

Anonymous said...

If you want to make sure the CW knows how you feel about their lack of exposure and marketing for this amazing show, go to www.cwtv.com and go to the "feedback" option at the bottom of the page and give them an eyeful of how we love this show and are disappointed in The CW and their disregard for their African American viewers. Make sure to select "The Game" in the drop down.

What happened with Girlfriends was nothing less than criminal. Eight years and they just drop the show like a bad habit! Terrible!

We just want an equal playing field. Is that too much to ask. They barely market this show and have changed the show's air date yet AGAIN!

Speak up people and be heard.

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Template Designed by Douglas Bowman - Updated to Beta by: Blogger Team
Modified for 3-Column Layout by Hoctro